by Amy Byers
June 14th is flag day. Here are a few facts about our flag.
The United States flag is the symbol for our freedom from tyranny, our freedom of religion and our freedom to express our feelings and beliefs to name a few. Because of this, some people have expressed dismay in our flag to protest one thing or another. I choose to honor it and the sacrifices that have come to defend it.
We here in the United States are bound to the Flag Code. Not everyone knows what the flag code entails, so here it is.
- At the playing of the Star-Spangled Banner, our flag should never be ‘dipped’. Our flag bows to no one.
- The Red, White and Blue should never be flown with the blue canton side down.
- Our flag should never be worn as apparel, bedding or drapery (except for a coffin)
- Our flag should never be drawn back or bunched up.
- Old Glory should never be used to cover a ceiling.
- The Stars and Stripes should never be used for advertising, on napkins, handkerchiefs or anything that can be discarded for temporary use.
- Our flag should never be stored where as it can be damaged or torn easily.
- Our flag should not be worn as a costume or athletic uniform. Except for a patch for military, firefighters, police or members of patriotic organizations.
- Lapel pins (considered replicas) are to be worn near the heart.
- Our flag should not ever have anything drawn on it or a letter/symbol cover the stars and stripes.
- If at a private residence, the flag should be brought in during the rain or violent weather unless hung at half-staff and should be eliminated at night.
- The flag should touch anything beneath it and should always be allowed to fall freely (except for Apollo Missions)
When the flag is tattered and no longer fit to serve as a symbol of the United States, it should be destroyed in a dignified manner. Preferably by burning.
The Veterans of Foreign Wars, The American Legion, and The Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts of America regularly hold flag burning services and would be a great place to donate your flag.
Fly it proud America!!